Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas. Cement Hands. Some Rambling Thoughts.

As most of my friends can attest, I absolutely love funky art and weird sculptures.  My house is full of it.  And my lovely second-year-med-student-derby-girl-friend and neighbor gave me a fantabulous gift.  Cement hands.  Literally.  She made a mold of her own digits and then poured the cement in... and gave me these creations:


Seriously.  Are they not the coolest???  And, yes, the middle fingers are extended - which just makes them all the more fun.  I'm planning on using one of these as a soap-dish in my guest bathroom.  Ha!!  I might consider "letting" my husband use the other one in his office to hold his business cards... but I'm hugely tempted to keep it on my desk instead.  Decisions, decisions!!

Methinks I need to get some [a bunch of] wine and go over to her house and play with cement sometime soon.  I think my feet would be pretty fun to do - I have delicious arches.  Foot fetish, anyone???

All in all, Christmas (yes, even atheists can refer to December 25th as that day) was really wonderful this year.  Not a touch of depression, dinner came out lovely and delicious, the afternoon was mellow (of course, I grazed too much... stupid Hickory Farms cheese and summer sausage and crackers and cookies), and the company was sublime.  Lots of laughing, good wine, and we ended up watching the horrible "Star Wars Christmas Special" (that of which even the great George Lucas himself is absolutely ashamed of) and cracking jokes and puns like the lunatics we are.

Now that it's all done and over, I feel like I can get back on track.  Yes, I know that the New Year starts next week and I'm making some plans for then, but for the most part, December 25th is the end of the year for me.  It might sound odd, but Christmas is almost like a catharsis of sorts.  It's the end of a whole bunch of stressful shit... from making plans for the days leading up to the actual holiday to the buying of gifts, cooking, baking, running regular errands, shopping, work, and cleaning (the list goes on - but who wants to read about that mundane crapola?).  Once it's over, I can just get back to my version of normal and keep working (even if it IS sporadically) towards my goals.

Speaking of goals, that's a post for another day.  Perhaps even tomorrow.  But for now, I'm going to admire my new cement hand sculptures, chat with my close friends through some sort of social media, drink wine, play some games, and maybe watch some trash television.

After all, it is a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment