Monday, August 3, 2015

Let's Talk "Adventure"...

Shall we???

Someone once told me that I shouldn't feel upset about leaving a place that I loved... that I should look at moving to a new place as an "adventure".  Having moved around the world (literally) and knowing that when I move it's always a *new start*, I don't really look forward to moving.  Just the logistics are a pain-in-the-ass... not to mention a lack of friends and having absolutely no support system.

Let me tell you about my little "adventure" that started yesterday morning.  I took the hubs to the airport because he's going to be gone for a good part of this month (August).  On my way home, I decided to stop at the brand new Subway and pick up a turkey sub (added bacon, no lettuce, no mayo, just a lot of veg and light on the oil and vinegar).  I took the foot-long home and ate half, wrapping the other half up for later that evening.

About two hours later (around 3:00 PM or so), my stomach starts to feel crampy.  I bolt for the bathroom and blow chunks - all of the sandwich that I just ate.  ZOMG.  It's wretched.  And I keep vomiting.  I throw up until there's nothing left but bile.  And I keep throwing up.  I can't drive to the ER because I'm running a fever and can't stop dry-heaving and shaking.  My husband is not here and I realize that I don't know a fucking soul except for my real estate agent.  She's got three kids - I can't call her to drive me to the ER.  There's no cabs that run this late.  If I want to go to the ER, well... I'm going to have to call an ambulance.

So... I call the RN-Emergency nurse that comes with my health care provider.  She and I go through everything (with my dry-heaving every two minutes or so - really pleasant conversation!!) that I ate and what kind of food poisoning that I might have... and she introduced me to staphylococcus aureus.  Meat that is not left cold enough, or cross-contaminated with eggs or bad mayo.  Vomiting and symptoms last for 24 - 72 hours.  Yeah, it's a winner.  Luckily, after throwing up for well over 20 hours, I'm able to keep water and popsicles down - without throwing up (right now).  And I'm not done with it yet - I may have to still go to the hospital.  Luckily, my realtor is willing to take me late this afternoon if I keep barfing.

I want to say "thank you" to my friends who kept checking on me (the husband is working in a white noise environment and has had his cell phone locked up, so no calling him) and making sure that I was okay, even if they were hundreds of miles away.  Thanks to the nurse that I spoke with and the kind people at the Health Department.  Luckily, I'm in good health so I probably won't have to deal with this much longer - and fingers crossed that I won't have to go to the ER.

I also want to say a bright and lively "FUCK YOU" to the asshole* who wouldn't listen to me when I was trying to explain about having a SUPPORT SYSTEM after I moved.  That this is not so much an "adventure" as a lifestyle change and that I would be on my own (literally and figuratively).  If I had ended up with a different form of food poisoning, it could've been much, much worse.  And what makes me want to throw up (just on principle) is that there is not one person that I could've called to take care of my dog.  Take your "adventure" and shove it straight up your smug ass - because if you think this shit is fun, you're fucking delusional.

*Why don't I have any friends??  Why can't I keep them??  
How about shit like this???  And, no, I'm not going to apologize.
You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment